Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Jetsons ruined the future for me…

I am a huge cartoon freak, quite honestly I feel a cartoon is more entertaining then a human being; lets face it, a cartoon can do WAY more than ANY human can. And the ego isn’t there either, just look at Charlie Sheen. But I can honestly say that “The Jetsons” ruined the 21st century for me!
The Jetsons originally aired in the early 60’s (hence the reason George drank martinis, now days he’d be considered gay), then again in the late 80’s/90’s. The Jetsons lived in what I thought to be the future or 2011, etc. I mean they had cars that flew, buildings that could wipe your ass and take care of you, futuristic clothes, etc. And on top of all that everyone in the 90’s always ranted and raved about how the year 2000 cars would fly and things like that would happen. But look around, I mean hell people are still living in the 80’s; what the fuck happened!?
Its now 2011, cars are not flying and hell they can’t even run off alternative fuel. No one lives on Mars or the moon, and money in our budget isn’t even there (we’re too busy playing world police). Buildings have computer systems, but they’re not making me food, dressing me, or cleaning me. And the only futuristic clothing style I’ve seen was Lady Gaga, but fore she went post Madonna 80’s goth! Quite frankly it’s a sad failure to what I had built up in my mind as the future.
So now that I am here in 2011 and none of this stuff has happened, I can honestly say the new “future” for me has been pushed back to 3011. Maybe by then (assuming the human race hasn’t killed one another and this planet) we’ll have cars that fly, live on multiple planets, have space ships to go to other galaxies. Pretty much like my new favorite cartoon show “Futurama”.
I can now again let my mind wonder into the future and dream what it may be like to hop on a ship and go to Mar’s University, have a robot friend, or make out with a Cyclops, and even better see the edge of the universe! It then hit me that Futurama is now the updated Jetsons (minus the whole family crap), only a little bit more believable. I can feel the same way that everyone else in the 60’s on up felt like the 21st century would be like.




“I’ve got a wife, two kids, and 10 finance companies
to support. How am I suppose to pay my bills?”
George Jetson

No comments:

Post a Comment